Move The Mindset invites you to show the community your excellence and expressive emotion through the power of words by submitting an original poem to our Juneteenth Matters Poetry Contest.
- Each entry must be original poetry that is solely created by the contestant.
- The poem submitted must address the topic “Juneteenth matters.”
- Poems must be 250-500 words or 40-100 lines.
- The contest is open to students in grades 9-12 attending a school in Lafayette Parish.
- Only one poem can be submitted per contestant.
- The poem must be submitted by June 1, 2023.
Submit your poem to the Juneteenth Matters Poetry Contest Online Submission Form.
Three finalists will be selected to receive a cash prize. The winner will receive $150, and the 1st and 2nd runner up will receive $100 and $50, respectively.
Finalists will be invited to read or perform their poems at Move The Mindset’s Juneteenth Commemoration on Monday, June 19th, 6 – 8pm at the Downtown Convention Center (124 South Buchanan St., Lafayette, LA 70501).
Winning entries may have the opportunity to be published in The Current.
For questions or more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download the Poetry Contest Flyer.
Move the Mindset is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization dedicated to advancing racial and social justice in Lafayette Parish. Each year, Move the Mindset hosts a Juneteenth Commemoration to honor the ancestors and their descendants who fought to end slavery and establish freedom, justice, and equality for all.